Saturday 25 January 2014

A Town Named After A Girl I Once Knew


A Town Named After a Girl I Once Knew




   Lying on my bedroom floor, waiting for the morning to come or the night to end, whichever comes first. So many things have been written about the beauty of night skies that I feel it futile to say anymore, but a simple glance to my window tells me otherwise. There are no stars in my metropolitan sky, only memories of stars, from different places and different times, different lifetimes. Constellations and dazzling formations that appear so close that they can almost be placed in the palm of your hand and stroked like a cute little animal. They twinkle in that abyss of darkness and while I watched they seemed so vulnerable, and that the only response to anything would be to keep shining away, up alone in a black sky. Maybe the world is like the universe and all of us are like stars, or maybe I haven’t slept enough and that’s the sleep depravity talking.
   My window opens and the coldness of nearby winter invades the room without mercy. Preferring escape to captivity, I pull myself up and grab my jacket off the bed. A few uneventful minutes take me outdoors and beneath a wrathful blizzard, the warning of which I had forgotten in my nightlong daze of half-sleeps. Streets, cars, buildings have all been painted white by this palette of the seasons. The emotionally sterile concrete buildings appear even more colourless than ever before, and as they flawlessly blend with everything around them I can no longer tell anything apart. Snow on the ground lights up the sidewalk beneath my feet, and I cannot help but believe the illusion that this new snow filled world will be a brighter place than ever before. Once again, the sleep depravity may be playing games with my mind.    


No comments:

Post a Comment