Friday 10 March 2017

The Chicken Sandwich


The first bite was about as delicious as Daniel could've possibly hoped. Tangy coleslaw, creamy aioli and a pinch of spice. This had been a good decision without a doubt.

'Danny... it isn't easy to say this, but... *sigh* ...it's time I move on with my life. I need to spread my wings.'

Daniel's second bite into the sandwich introduced a touch of ham into the combination. Salty but slightly sweet, a strange sensation on the tongue.

'You know I've always wanted to travel... work abroad for a year at least. I mean, we've talked about this before. You know we have.'

A third bite and now more than half of the sandwich was gone. This was Daniel's most disappointing chomp thus far, containing very little of the main chicken attraction. It was mostly just bread and sauce.

'I'm sorry to have to do this, honestly. It's not easy to say how I feel, or what I'm going through. I hope you can understand.'

The next bite of the sandwich was harshly bitter, like the bun had been soaked in pickle juice forgotten in the sun. Daniel felt around in his mouth and there was also a jalapeno kicking around, which wasn't supposed to be there. Someone had been dishonest. One bite left now.

'I should go. I'll keep in touch... okay?'

Daniel's last bite was a mix of bitter and sweet flavours. This sandwich had given him some wonderful moments in a short period of time, but there had been significant disappointment in other moments. Here was a mix of those vivid tastes, a compilation of everything delicious and everything repulsive. Sure, there would be other chicken sandwiches, but never one exactly like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment