Wednesday 20 May 2020

East End Eats III: Cinamon Indian Bistro






Some quick background before we chomp into this one: this was the first time I'd ever actually ordered food from an Indian restaurant. Key word, ordered. It's not like I haven't tried it before... just that it's always been at someone's house or a British pub imitation (with varying success).

My mum would sometimes make something she called curry when I was a kid, though her version was a weird concoction with noodles(?), nothing saucey, chunks of chicken and little other flavour beyond aggressive spice. I dreaded these 'curry nights' so much that I never even considered eating anything called curry until I was an adult, discovering there were different kinds and none of them even slightly resemble whatever the hell the thing she made was.

Anyhow I am a definite newb when it comes to Indian cuisine. Fortunately for me, there are four spots in my immediate area that feature such fare. Unable to decide which to try first, I went for the one with the highest average review score on Google, so to eventually measure the others on that standard. Unfair? Perhaps. But this is food I'm very unfamiliar with (I still have to look up exactly what makes each sauce different) so it felt logical to first try something regarded as very good just to establish a basis for my taste.

Enough of that. The place I visited was Cinamon Indian Bistro, tucked in a stretch between Kew Park and Woodbine on the north side of Queen East. They're been around for quite a few years now, though it was only a couple months ago I really noticed their existence (maybe because it's just past walking distance to my local LC... *cough*). I rode down, called in an order for pickup, wandered some side streets where nobody was around and picked it up from the window.





I was craving lamb, so I went for the Lamb Korma Curry you see here, plus a garlic naan because well duh. (I added those cucumbers on the side myself because, also duh). The smell alone was exciting: on my ride back I was getting faint whiffs of it and once in my apartment opening the container the scent just took over the place.

I elected for 'medium' spice, not that I can't handle heat just that this being my first go at this stuff, I wanted more of the root flavours in the spotlight. And it does. This taste here was delightful: rich and creamy, a nice tickling spice on the tongue just waving a friendly goodbye, and a hint of nutty aftertaste (I do know a lot of Indian dishes involve roasted nuts, so maybe there were some here...? Damned if I know). Anyhow, first bite I was hooked.

The benefit of braising (and then resting in sauce) is that if it's done right the meat is supremely tender on the inside and this certainly qualifies. Lamb has an inherent earthy spice to it I've always enjoyed (done right I take it over beef 100 /100 times) and while these other curry flavours drown out that natural lamb taste, there's enough of a hint here that my choice for lamb instead of whatever meat was a good call.

The price is... I dunno on point? Slightly expensive? Tax-in, the curry and naan was about 20 bucks, but it was sneakily filling and I'm not the smallest dude in the world. Even the naan (about 4.00) seemed pricey and it's hard to screw up two delicious things like fresh bread and garlic... but seriously no regrets. It was a necessary component to the experience, and as someone who buys pre-packaged naans quite often (they're perfect for homemade pizzas) the difference is very noticeable.

My only two regrets are: I didn't try this place like five years ago when I moved here, and that the best way to try a place like this is with a bunch of friends where everyone orders something different so you can sample as much as you can. In this current world that's basically impossible, but another something (hopefully) to look forward to.


Nostalgia Value: N/A
Price Value: I'd say 6/10 but really... N/A (I don't have enough experience here)
Overall: 9/10 (simply... it rules)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment