Tuesday 26 March 2024

The Tuesday Taste - California Sandwiches

 


 

And sometimes I 

just ain't in the mood

to take my place in back

with the loudmouths

You're like a picture on the fridge

that's never stocked with food

I used to live at home

now I stay in the house 


Another Tuesday, another Taste!

 

Admittedly, this was not a sandwich chain I was familiar with at all until beginning these specific Tuesday reviews.  

However, they have over a dozen locations throughout the GTA and seeing as I've reviewed much smaller chains (Blondies, San Francesco) merely as an excuse to try them... seems like it was time to give California Sandwiches it's due.

The original location (at least I think) is on quiet Claremont Street in Toronto's Little Italy, right between College and Dundas. Naturally, that is not where I went. Instead, I biked up to Warden and Eglinton to sample the fare of that outpost, hidden amidst a sprawl of parking spaces and a dozen other brand name food options. 

This did not detract from the experience of the place, surprisingly. I ordered their veal sandwich from a young lady (doubt she was older than 17) wearing a Beatles shirt, and while I was sitting by the window (daydreaming into the blandness of cookie-cutter plazas), an older fella went to order and chatted her up... in a friendly 'I'm old and like reminiscing' kind of way. He asked who her favourite Beatle was... and her confounded polite smile and reactionary "uhhhh...." brought a 'between worlds' type of grin to my face. 

Anyhow, onto the food itself. Had to go for the veal sandwich, no frills beyond the cheese included. I'm far from a veal aficionado (does it go on pizza? No? Then what is it) and I've had veal... maybe three times my entire life. Going into this, I sort of half knew what to expect while the other half was a complete open mystery space. 

What I expected: a thin, breaded, tender cut of meat... showered with sauce.

 


 

What I got: certainly that. First off, this sandwich was damn gigantic. What a gas it was to meet it. I could only eat half before wrapping it in my bag and departing. Second, and as the photo shows: a messy affair. Sauce and cheese dripping everywhere... a dangerous operation for a bearded fellow such as myself. However, these are hardly complaints at all because most crucially this was a darn tasty sandwich. 

Normally I'm not a fan of sandwiches with such a simple composition: "it's just tomato sauce, cheese and meat? Bah!". I'm a person who has put raw garlic on hotdogs... many times. California indeed does offer additional toppings on their sandwiches, like mushrooms, peppers etc at an extra price... but as a first-timer writing a review, I like to first judge the basics as best I can (unless it's pizza... then wow me with your madness). 

This sandwich is certainly simple as far as flavour goes, and that flavour is consistent throughout (the sheer amount of tomato sauce bleeds through everything, especially the hollow kaiser bun). The veal itself... again as an Unfamiliar with this I found the tight tenderness of it quite enjoyable. Not aggressively chewy (which I'd feared), subtle taste that lingers nicely, lightly juicy, and obviously the breading really helps elevate the taste and texture. A good mix of crunch (even holding up after soaked in the marinara sauce) and soft... while having the presence of the cheese, melted and dripping goo as it was... gave it a much needed extra layer to enjoy. 

It's definitely more of a texture enjoyment than a taste thing, for me anyhow. The taste is simple and done quite nicely... being basic doesn't necessarily mean it's boring. Margherita pizzas are popular for a reason, after all. With that simplicity, I really enjoyed the combination of soft, airy bun... slathered in a sharp tomatoey sauce, gooey cheese dripping about, with a tender and externally crunchy cutlet within the center of it all.

Again, as somebody very inexperienced with this type of sandwich... I liked this version of it. Not to the point of craving it again instantaneously... but certainly no regrets whatsoever. I'm sure some of you reading here who know your stuff can better comment than I upon where California stacks up in the overall world of this type of sandwich... and please let me know! I am intrigued. 

For now, all I can say is that this was pretty good... it was huge (the latter half was an excellent midnight snack) and there wasn't a whole lot to pick apart in this experience.... aside from the 17 year old in the Beatles shirt not being able to name a member of the Fab Four. I mean.... *insert shakes head meme here*. Maybe she, like everybody, had something to hide except for her and her monkey.   

 

-----

 

This Week In Star Trek

 

It's Trek Tuesday as well... two Shatners for the price of none!   

 



Tuesday Tune

 

My dad is a much bigger fan of this band than I, hell I think he even might've argued to me once that they were the best rock band of the 80s (preposterous, considering The Smiths did exist). Regardless where your tastes may lie, Tim is an absurdly great album and this 2023 remaster really gives it a bigger, clearer sound. Here's the closing track: 




That's all for this week! We're still chugging along so until next time... stay cool, be good, but most importantly of all don't spill that mustard. 



1 comment:

  1. Your writing style is very good. Very informed without being too opinion-biased, and accepting of informed scrutiny without being afraid to hear it. You write better than most people speak.

    ReplyDelete