Friday 30 November 2012

550 Words A Day Challenge (III) Sound Check




(I've decided as a writing exercise to write 550 words everyday for two weeks and see what I come up with. The subject matter and narrative will not be limited to anything, and I will only be allowed to edit what I write once)

-----------------

Part III --- Sound Check


Two young people standing in a crowd of seventy. One male, one female, an empty stage in front of them. The large room is dimly lit, underground, with ceramic tiled walls for better acoustics.

'Dean, what time were they supposed to come on?'
       'I told you, eleven!'
'You did no such thing.'
       'I've told you like, at least six times by now. God, Sara, you're sooooo forgetful.'
'You definitely didn't tell me. I would've remembered.'
       'Yeah, like you remembered where this place is.'
'The streetcar confused me. It made that right turn at Parliament. It was the detour's fault.'
       'That streetcar like, always turns at Parliament.'
'No it doesn't. I know, I used to live right there.'
       'Right where?'
'On Parliament!' 
      'Of course. Hey is Fenton coming?'
'Doesn't look like it. He's gotta study for this CAE or something.'
       'Dag. What about Hayward?'
'Dinner with the folks. They live in Burlington, poor bastard.'
       'Yeah that's a trek. How about Cy? He's gotta make it, this is like, his favourite band!'
'No clue. I know he went pre-drinking with the Carters so... probably in a ditch somewhere.'
       'Sara, does this like mean it's just us?'
'Looks like it.'
       'Huh.'
'Huh indeed.'
       'Yep.'
'Yep yep.'
       'Quite.'
'Mmmmmm hmmmmm.'
      'Yah.'
'Yeah.'
      'Well.'
'Yup.'
      '...try giving Craig a call.'
'Damn. Don't get reception down here.'
     'You like, win again, crappy cell phone coverage!'
'Wanna get a drink at the bar?'
     'Nah I'm good. Not a fan of Mudweiser.'
'You call it "Mudweiser?"'
     'They call it "Mudweiser" here. Look at the tap.
'Wow. That's filthy. Bet the bartenders have to wash their hands a lot.'
     'Yeah. It's like, popular with the pigs though.'
'What do you like to drink?'
      'I'm a fan of liquids. Some solids.'
'Good one.'
      'Thank you, thank you, I'm here all night. Don't try the Mudweiser.'
'Dean, what time do you have?
      'Eleven-twenty.'
'And what time were they supposed to come on?'
      'Like I said, eleven.'
'You never said that.'
      'I like, so totally did! We need like, a transcript of our conversation so I can prove it.'
'Yeah, good luck with that.'
      'Hey, I see Cy! By the bar there!'
'Really?'
      'Yeah! No wait, that's just a beer stained dartboard.'
'The resemblance is uncanny though.'
      'Like, seriously. 
'Listen, Dean. There's something I want to talk to you about.'
      'The bullseye is kinda like his mouth.'
'Dean, we've started hanging out a lot more these days.'
      'His beard does look like a number 19...'
'And I've discovered I really like spending time with you. Really like it.'
      'I think his head like, might be more circular though...'
'So what I wanna say is, I... would you, will you... I... this is really hard to say.'
      'Hey the show's like, starting! Maybe really loud music will help you say it, Sara, whatever it is!'
'God damn it. What time were these dopes supposed to start again?'






No comments:

Post a Comment