Tuesday 23 February 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Wendy's Daves Single w. Cheese

 

 


 

According to Google, I would've had to walk 159 minutes to burn off the calories of this burger.

Fortunately, I walked about 170 minutes just to get to my closest Wendy's and back. Even so, health-wise I'd call that a draw. At best.

The Tuesday Taste is back! Or rather, continuing! I am serious about keeping this latest bizarre project of mine going. Speaking of bizarre, why does Wendy's put so much ketchup on their burgers? I've noticed this in the past, but now actually reviewing/writing about it, I can't ignore it. It helps add sweetness since the meat is fairly spongy, but I'm also of the view that ketchup only belongs with non-poutine fries (and ideally mixed with mayo).

A relationship with fast food is truly, for most of us, a love or hate relationship. When I think of loving or hating fast food, Wendy's is one always in that middle ground for me. Maybe lacking the constant innovative adaption of menu options like A &W Canada, but also being reliable and consistent with the basics of what they do. Kinda like writing a final test and going for a C+: never an awful result, but it never blows your mind either. Reliable lack of disappointment.

That may sound like a criticism (because it is) but to give this burger credit I do think it's quite tasty: the texture of the patty is generic but just in the precise amount to be a presence but not to dominate, allowing the American Cheese and their nicely sweet pickle slices to shine in. I suspect many people like Wendy's double patty burgers and hey, I can't criticize your choices but personally, that much sheer beef in every bite simply isn't to my taste. 

Dave's Single isn't great, but it satisfies: just a classic American cheeseburger like In-N-Out style... except not anywhere close to that particular amazing level (you need the relishy sauce, toasted buns, better beef, thinner patties with Animal Style and.... uh-oh I've said way too much this review will self destruct in....3, 2, 1...)

......

...what, you're still here? Fine. Wendy's single cheeseburger... it is also fine. Once in a while. The ketchup is too much, the bun is just a soft suitcase but it works in a very solidly unimpressive way. Again, it really aims for that straightforward classic concept of a cheeseburger and does taste like food, which is more than I'll say for some future items I'm sure to ingest on this feature hahah! Oh god no. 

 

Burnt Ends --

 

Lots of other articles in the works! Some more love/hate for Star Trek, an East End Eats or two (one coming later this week so watch for that), and maybe a chapter of a novel if it feels right to share it. That one has been most on the backburner but I need to get back at it. Definitely more food and sci-fi coming on here soon though, without a doubt.

 

Robots After All --

 

Had to mention something about Daft Punk breaking up yesterday. A great, influential 28 year run, even if they averaged seven years per album. I like all of their records in very different ways, so to recommend a specific one would be difficult. One time on a plane to California (I was 13) they showed Interstella 5555 as the in-flight film (seriously, this happened). "One More Time" was still a huge hit and I wonder if somebody put in the wrong tape: thinking this would be a hit music video while the plane took off... instead being a near full length strange (and quite good) animated film. It's likely not on YouTube anymore (I watched it on there back in 2008 probably) but a cool sci-fi anime with the music of Daft Punk? This also happened.

Damn great duo. 




That's it for this Tuesday Taste. Next time there will be..... more! Yes.... MORE... but what? I dunno.... or do I? Question mark.....? Until next time don't spill the mustard.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment