Tuesday 24 May 2022

The Tuesday Taste: Pizza Nova Garlic Hack

 

 

 

You sleep with electric guitars

Range rovin' with the cinema stars

And I wouldn't wanna shake their hands

'Cause they're in such a high protein land


Another Tuesday, another Taste! And another pizza! From me? Never.

 

Much like last week (the week of the infamous chicken sandwich mishap) I wasn't able to go try my Plan A, although unlike that story (which involved a momentary lapse of memory) this time was because of a momentary lapse of moneys. Indeed, I was able to find this destination on second chance (I'd been too far south last time) but upon seeing the prices of what I wanted to get... it just wasn't going to be smart or feasible to do that this week. 

Instead... we're doing Pizza Nova again... but with a twist! You may recall we've been down the Nova road before: last July they were one of the better showings in the Pepperoni Slice showdown... later that September for Chicken Wing Month I pitted Nova's wings against Pizzaville's... and of course they have a spot on this epic doozy of a list (I'm quite fond of pizza by the way... dunno if anyone who reads my work has noticed).

Before getting into this review's advertised twist, I don't believe I've provided any of the history of Pizza Nova in my previous reviews. With the spotlight of this article squarely upon them, here goes. A young family of Italian brothers, the Primucci's, opened up the first Nova restaurant in 1963 near Lawrence Avenue East and Kennedy Road in Scarborough. This original location indeed still stands, existing now as a sit down type of restaurant with an expanded menu (although those additional options don't appear particularly appealing). The rest of the story is a similar one to most larger restaurant chains we cover on this show, except with a catchier jingle than usual (oh and that the same family still operates the franchise).

Getting into the pizza itself... the usual Pizza Nova elements are in play. I've always liked their sauce, there's a nice sting and presence of real stewed tomatoes... they just never put nearly enough of that stuff on there (the lead picture is good evidence of that). The cheese doesn't leave much of an impression on me, never has really... it's just kind of there as a flat cheese texture that layers atop of the bread. Tastes okay, and is far superior to places like Pizza Pizza in that it actually tastes like real mozzarella at least... just not mozzarella of notable flavour or quality. The dough, though. Let's go. Unless you're wandering in near last call and getting a slice that's been sitting sadly since the early morning, this is some nice stuff that you can even get a nice whiff of once it's been freshly baked from the oven. The scent of freshly baked bread I'm certain is objectively enjoyable amongst the majority of the human race. Obviously, the dough becomes terrible once it loses that moisture, but when is stale pizza ever good anyways? Actually... I'd potentially still eat that if it was from the right place... like a thin wood fired crust... but nevertheless!

Overall, I've always found Nova a perfectly fine option amongst the super prominent pizza chains you find in Ontario. It doesn't taste like cardboard (*cough* Pizza Pizza), a baked cake of grease (*cough* Pizza Hut), or an overcooked uneven ticking time bomb (Domino's). For me personally though, what really elevates Pizza Nova from being just marginally better than those terrible choices is this wildcard I am about to discuss: the garlic pizza. 

Keep in mind here, I am a certified garlic fiend. My personal level of "this has too much garlic" is "keep adding more garlic". I've chopped up garlic raw (raw!) and put it on hot dogs at home, and it's damn delicious. My tastes and tolerances towards garlic are likely very different than yours, so you've been warned. That said, the quality of Nova's garlic is really darn good (especially compared to other mainstream pizza joints) and allow me to explain how and why.

I've tried getting garlic as a topping at some of the other pizza chains we've discussed. Some will offer it as a free topping, but that's always granulated garlic and while a nice compliment, it ain't the same. Domino's and Papa John's do offer it as an actual topping and it's completely pathetic: you barely even get a sense or feel it's there in taste or texture outside of one random bite. Pizzaville does it somewhat better, although it's tossed on there in tiny chunks that bake into their sauce and under their heavy cheese, neutralizing its presence. Nova though, they do they way I like it: extreme excess (as you can see in the photo). 

This garlic pizza is something I've been getting from Nova for over a decade now... and I think what keeps making me come back for it is how they prepare and roast these garlicy bits. Another warning, this is an insanely oily pizza... but that's because of the olive oil these many pieces of garlic have been swimming in. Still not exactly a pinnacle of healthy eating, obviously, but I'll take that over the obscene (more fat than flavour) greasy butteriness of Pizza Hut. Flavour-wise the difference is incredibly important also... the hint of olive oil cooked into this meshes well to soften and lessen the pungency of the garlic, with the cheese and bread of the pizza also around to help absorb all of that. In a way it's almost like the best, biggest order of cheesy garlic bread no pub will ever offer (and I've never found a garlic bread I've liked from a pub anyway... they usually just use garlic butter which is fine, but just not the real issue). 

Anyhow, I know this might sound very appealing to some, and to others just another weird little niche thing here that I like because I'm crazy. I will say, a lot of the times over the years I've gone to order this... the person working the counter is very confused that I want "just" garlic. Oftentimes I have to insist they don't add pepperoni onto it also. 

If you are curious enough to give it a go, I do recommend it very highly. It's one of my favourite "once or twice a year" indulgences I like to enjoy.    

 

Burnt Ends -- I dunno, I'm sure there will be some kind of written something I've been promising the past few weeks that will finally arrive for eyeballs to see. Suddenly after two years in the social/employment void of COVID... actually starting to become kinda... busy? Did I spell that correctly? Regardless, there will be something non-food related very soon, most definitely.

 

Tasty Five-O -- Meanwhile, back to the topic of food reviews! The next Taste will in fact be the 50th one... which is a nice tidy round number ripe for the fruits of some kind of special episode. I already have a plan what the actual review will be, and it won't be the place I've failed to successfully try the past couple weeks either. Stay tuned for that.   

 

Look Out! It's A Train!!! -- I stumbled upon this video of silent films using stunts with trains and well... it's some damn harrowing but impressively cool stuff.

 


 

 

This Week's No Context Looney Tunes Image --

 


 


Tuesday Tune -- I'm a fairly recent convert to this particular band, but I've really liked a lot of what I've heard thus far. As tempting as it was to share something weird that I like off their first record, I'll be nice and give you all something more accessible from the poppier (for these guys) second album. A good tune (and record) for these early summer days.

 


 

That's it for me! Until the big one next time... stay safe, stay cool, don't be causing a ruckus in my neighbourhood (or anyone's neighbourhood for that matter.... Woodbine Beach was a warzone Sunday night you bastards, wouldn't wish that on anyone)... but most importantly don't spill that there mustard.


 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment