Monday 24 December 2012

550 Words A Day Challenge Part XIII: Lemm's Monologue




Part XIII --- Lemm's Monologue


A BAR, decorated for Christmas. Two characters (bar rats) sit on stools with drinks in front of them, while LEMM stands behind the bar, facing the audience. LEMM is dressed in a white dress shirt, black bow-tie and black apron


LEMM: A lotta people ask me around this time of the year: "What're you doing working in this dump? Don't you have friends or family or someone you can spend time with? A pet, maybe?" Well, I've never been able to answer that one. I always just smile and nod and say "I don't mind the work" or "I could use the money" But really, I don't know what the answer is.

One of the bar rats coughs loudly

LEMM: Do I have anyone? Sure, I guess there's my folks. They live just north of town but I hate that bus ride to get up there. Most of my friends go away for the holidays, some go back home and others somewhere warm and tropical. The thought of Christmas Eve on a beach is a little weird to me. Got a cousin who lives here in the city. He indulges in the herbs too much. Usually he doesn't remember my name.

The same bar rat coughs loudly again

LEMM: You want another one Gus?

The bar rat nods. LEMM begins fixing up a drink behind the bar while still facing the audience

LEMM: Yeah, I don't mind working the long hours alone here. Everyone else is where they belong on Christmas Eve and I guess so am I. The people that come here around this time of year are friendly, good hearted people. (one of the bar rats lets out a tremendous belch) I had a girl I'd spend time with a few years back. I remember we spent one Christmas Eve together. I shut down the bar early, she came and met me here, then we went on this walk downtown to the waterfront. There was snow everywhere, it got in our boots! And it was so cold. Wind howling. Didn't seem to care though, neither of us. (LEMM puts the drink he was making in front of the bar rat "GUS") Yeah, happy to be warm tonight though, inside here. Dreadfully cold outside I'm sure. Dreadfully.

The other bar rat puts his head down on the bar and begins to snore, loudly at first but then becomes quieter

LEMM: I've had some great Christmas Eves here, lemme tell ya! Uh, yeah there was last year when old Gus here thought the pool table chalk was a pimento so he put it in his beer! And a couple years ago, old Gus was hungry and had already eaten all the peanuts in the coin machine. So he thought the urinal cakes in the bathroom would make a fine dessert! Ha, oh the fun we've had. Oh the emergency numbers we've called.

LEMM goes quiet for a moment as he reflects upon the stories he just told, though his expression becomes less proud of them the longer he is silent

LEMM: Looks like snowfall outside. How about that. Hmmmmm. Probably nice by the water tonight. Hey Gus, what time you got? Almost 8:30, right?

Bar rat "GUS" nods

LEMM: All right! Last call everyone! Take your time but I'm closing early tonight! Happy holidays!


CURTAIN
  

No comments:

Post a Comment