Tuesday 11 December 2012

550 Words A Day Challenge Reboot: The Twenty Nine


(I've decided as a writing exercise to write 550 words everyday and see what I come up with. The subject matter and narrative will not be limited to anything, and I'm only allowed to edit what I write once)


Part V --- The Twenty-Nine


The setting is a bus stop with a green bench beside it. Three people wait in a row by the sign: PARKER, a well dressed salesman holding a suitcase, GUNBY, a casually dressed young man with a guitar bag over his shoulder, and SIBELLA, a teenage female hockey player on her way to a game (hockey stick in hand, enormous sports bag by her feet. All three give off body language that they've been waiting for a while

 
GUNBY: Damn 29. The 29 is always late.

PARKER: Is it now?

GUNBY: Everytime. I always have to wait at least fifteen minutes for it.

PARKER: Wouldn't know. I'm not from this area.

GUNBY: Me neither. I'm across town. Bank district I like to call it.

PARKER: Sounds interest-ing.

GUNBY: I like to think so, man.

PARKER: Normally I don't take public transportation. Too slow, really. But today I'm heading into a neighbourhood with such terrible parking I have no other choice.

GUNBY: What's your business there?

PARKER: Have you heard of the Grand Electron Corporate Dynamo Group?

GUNBY: No.

PARKER: Well I sell payment plans for them.

GUNBY: Payment plans?

PARKER: Yes. Door to door.

GUNBY: What kind of payment plans?

PARKER: Oh, a bit of everything.

GUNBY: And where does it go?

PARKER: Here, there. Sometimes everywhere. And really, the destination isn't a big part of it.

GUNBY: More so the 'paying' part.

PARKER: Exactly. As far as you know, it's going towards whatever you want.

GUNBY: Can it go towards not having to wait fifteen minutes for the bus?

SIBELLA: Why not just arrive here ten minutes later?

GUNBY: But then I'll miss the bus!

PARKER: He's got a point there.

GUNBY(to Sibella): You a basketball player?

SIBELLA: Hockey.

GUNBY: Is that the one with the touchdowns?

SIBELLA: Not a sports fan I take it.

GUNBY: Hey now, I enjoy sports. I like the game where the two rich guys in suits argue back and forth with big words for like three hours.

SIBELLA: You mean a political debate?

GUNBY: Maybe. It's the one where the commentators are always talking about 'points' but there's no score.

PARKER: I prefer when the two guys, or sometimes one guy one girl, are sitting behind a big desk with screens behind them and talk about things that are happening in the world, whatever sport that is.

SIBELLA(to herself): Geez, this bus does take a while...

PARKER: Say young lady, have you ever heard of Grand Electron Corporate Dynamo Group?

SIBELLA: I think I saw them featured in one of those 'sports' you just mentioned, and it wasn't a very good game.

GUNBY(to Parker): How do I get on board with one of these payment plans you mentioned?

PARKER: Do you have a credit card?

GUNBY: Do I ever!

PARKER: Great! Now I have some forms for you to fill out... (opens his suitcase and begins rummaging through) Banking information, place of birth, mother's maiden name, power of attorney, nothing too big...

SIBELLA: The bus is coming.

GUNBY: Bus?

PARKER: Now, I am going to need a sizeable cash payment up front.

GUNBY: Is it okay if I give you my chequebook instead?

SIBELLA: Not in service? Come on! (turning to the audience) Oh well, beats waiting for the Queen streetcar.

(on cue, PARKER's suitcase pops open and nothing but shredded newpapers spill onto the stage)


CURTAIN







No comments:

Post a Comment