Tuesday 23 March 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Fat Bastard's Spicy Tofu Burrito

 


 

I don't know, why you bother

Nothing's ever good enough for you

I was there

it wasn't like that

You've come here just to start a fight

 

Another Tuesday, another taste! It's still Vegetarian Month, and it hasn't exactly been a thrill thus far (grilled cheese is nutritious, right? Right?). However, this week I gave a food I've never liked another attempt to shine... tofu.

Quite certain the reason for my dislike is that when I was younger I didn't like the texture of it, finding it weird and bland. This time, older me went to the Fat Bastard Burrito location here in the Beaches (a dude tried to recruit me onto their softball team once) and ordered their Sweet and Spicy Tofu burrito, filled with most of the usual burrito fixins (refried beans, lettuce, rice, green peppers, guacamole, green onion and sauces).

Lemme say that it was rather good. It's challenging to make actual bad burrito sure, but this one was indeed tasty and filling... the guac liberally applied and adding a nice subtle sweetness. The real question though is: did I like the tofu? Well... well...

I did! ...to a point. I liked the quiet sweet heat of it (and appreciate the truth in the title) and when still warm and fresh it reminded me of a mix between chicken breast and cheese curds. There's the consistency of freshly cooked chicken and a similar initial flavour on first bite, but with that squeakiness of a real cheese curd.

For 80 percent of this I was impressed, even considering buying tofu myself one day to try cooking it in something. Alas. Once it goes cold, as most burritos rightfully worth their girth should before eaten completely... tofu becomes very chewy and kinda tedious to eat. Kind of like when you're eating a dry pork chop when the flavour has left your mouth after the first chew. Once again, it's a texture thing for me and I'm sorry/not sorry to say... still don't really like tofu. Wouldn't say I dislike it, just meh.

Consolation though, if I ever do this vegetarian month thing again... it was a mighty tasty burrito and a good option for when that craving hits. It's not option #1 (or 5) for me, but that's me and objectively I do recommend it.   

 

Burnt Ends - Finally got my reviews of the worst Star Trek Next Generation out the door! Check them out here and here, if you want to read me curse and lambaste some truly awful sci-fi television. I do love TNG (I swear) though, and once I'm done this final article of their worst episodes I'll think of something more positive to write about it. Also, a friend of mine and I have decided to collaborate potentially on writing a Radiohead album retrospective. It's in the drawing board stages for now but I'll keep the updates coming.

Patio Party - They've reopened patios at limited capacity here in Toronto this past weekend, and I have very conflicting feelings about it. I'm a longtime restaurant/bar industry worker myself as are many of my friends, and while I want to see them finally back to work I also want them to be able to do so in a safe environment... which I'm not entirely convinced is currently the case. I get it: we've all been cooped up for months in an especially lonely winter (tell me about it) and are eager to finally be outside, socialize with friends and forget these troubles. These troubles just are not quite over yet, though. All I'll say is, if you do go out on a patio with some friends... treat your server extra well because it's not just their livelihood right now it's also their life.

Tuesday Tune - I mentioned the big Radiohead project earlier, and so as the opening of this article suggested... here's a great tune from their somewhat overlooked 2003 album.

 


 

     

That's it for now, lets get outta here! At least, that's what I'm saying to myself this month. Stay safe out there, treat each other with decency and respect... don't drop the mustard.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Alina and her dad say it's much better if you're inside the restaurant. But the takeaway is pretty sad. Hence, they're not going back until we can all go back.

    ReplyDelete