Tuesday 9 March 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Mamma's Pizza Calzone

 


Kicking off Vegetarian Month with one of my very favourite foods, yet one I've never reviewed until now: a calzone! Like an adult sized pizza pocket, calzones combine the delicious basic elements of pizza with the satisfaction of eating a huge misshapen bubble of freshly cooked bread... with ingredients sure to ooze out at some point. What's not to like?

One question you might be curious about is what exactly is the difference between a calzone and a panzerotti? Well my extensive (*cough* fifteen seconds *cough*) internet research concludes that calzones are larger and baked, while panzerottis are smaller and usually fried... except multiple online recipes I found actually reverse those (you can fry calzones or bake panzerottis) so... who knows...? 

Whatever! This week I visited the Mamma's Pizza here in the Beaches and ordered a (baked) calzone. Windy tale alert: about fourteen years ago I was still a teenager living at home and working at the Drake Hotel, which I'm certain is the last time I had a Mamma's Pizza calzone. Thing was, I didn't then know how calzones by their enclosed nature usually take at least 20-25 minutes to cook (compared to a typical common pizza which can be half that time). So once this thing was finally ready, I had about ten minutes to get to work that night and wound up eating most of it in a cab. 

The sequel? Well I definitely wasn't in a cab racing into West Queen West during rush hour this time. The price was a bit higher than ideal (nearly twelve bucks with tax) for one with just two toppings (green peppers and garlic, since it's Vegetarian Month) including the standard sauce and cheese. Also would ingredients in a calzone still be considered 'toppings'? Wouldn't they be like, 'inserts' or 'fill-toppings' instead? Filloppings?

Overall, the calzone is fairly decent. I've always found the pizza at Mamma's 'ok' but overly oily considering how thin it is... here with much thicker bread that oiliness is better balanced and contained. Again I would've liked a few more frills at that price point (like some kind of buttery/pesto rub along the upper crust, or just a simple side of marinara sauce which most legit calzones should be accompanied with)... but at least the dough never gets immediately crusty or stale once it cools. The filloppings are fine and it never feel lacking in quantity (*cough* Pizza Pizza *cough* blech) and their slightly acidic tomato sauce is a touch above what your average pizza chain features... likewise with the cheese (minus the acidity, fortunately). I wish the garlic had been a bit more of a presence, since it tastes chopped and baked instead of nicely oily and roasted... but also I probably like garlic way way more than most ordinary people.

One big complaint I have with pizza joints that also offer calzones/panzerottos is how they look huge and loaded with goodness once you get them, but once punctured the air inside escapes and they flatten to 1/5 the size. Fortunately this one doesn't deflate like a depressed balloon, and combined with what I would describe as competent quality... this would be a solid B- : Enjoyable enough, but still be on the hunt for something better when that craving hits again.

 

Burnt Ends -- Been somewhat busy with other work (gotta pay the actual bills) but this Star Trek thing I've hinted at for a while will be up very soon... just stuck on one terrible episode (oops I've said too much... self-sabotahghe!). The East End Eats are somewhat limited for now since I feel weird paying take-out prices for veggies/cheese when I can cook similar things at home. But! I have a few ideas in mind... *spoilers* such as Maha's, plus another spot on Greenwood I tried before the month began, just have to polish it up. 

Sports Sports Sports Sports Sports -- The Blue Jays season kicks off in a few weeks, so check out my occasional work at Battersbox.ca if that's your kind of thing also. I don't write daily or anything, but keep an eye open for 'Eephus' (that's a me!). I'm sure we'll have some kind of season preview in the coming weeks.

Tuesday Tune -- Nothing that really fits this week... was listening to some early 2000s Muchmusic Canadiana pop-punk like Sum 41 for a night, but ah biscuits here's a Radiohead song:

 

 

That's it for another week. What's next? Can I find enough vegetarian options (that aren't pizza) to keep this thing going until April? Whoooooo knoooooows?????? Until then, I'll need to think of something more creative than 'filloppings' and not spill the mustard.
    

             

No comments:

Post a Comment