Thursday 15 July 2021

East End Eats XXVII: GG's Burgers

 


 

We're back again, and quickly! Needless to say I was eager to get the nastiness of my last review out of the way... even if it meant going back close to the scene of the culinary crime.

 

GG's is a recent addition to the mini-plaza right off Lakeshore East and Northern Dancer Blvd, next to the Tim Horton's I always forget exists, a Booster Juice I never go to (blech) and a cursed restaurant location (currently the also new Toronto Beach Club, but was previously Carter's Landing and before that some lounge that began with an 'N' or something). 

The schtick of this new burger joint is "Good Burger Vibes" (I'll be the judge of vibes, damnit) and the aesthetic certainly attempts to capture some positivity. There's a very faux-retro feel to everything, with colourfully funky artwork of burgers, fries and shakes that could be posters for a 60s psychedelia concert. When talking about classic American style cheeseburgers, going for retro style branding isn't a bad move, and in fact seems rather common when you think about Five Guys, In-N-Out, Sonic etc. 

All the style in the world won't save the food if it's crummy, though. Thankfully, it's not! It's rather good in fact. The cheeseburger (which had cheese on it! Sorry but I'm never forgiving BnC for that) really gives an enjoyable soft texture, with the lightly toasted sesame seed bun, juicy patty (though slightly undercooked and mushy for my liking) and melted American cheese... it's just that classic combination executed with skill and care. While eating it I was trying to think what burger this reminded me of... maybe like a Big Mac except good? 

GG's sauce is more of a mustardy relish though, which gives a nice little sweet tang to the heaviness of everything else. The beef itself might be the weakest link, as while it gives agreeable texture I would've liked a bit more distinct flavour from it. Ah well, this is still a terrific burger regardless.

The fries though... they steal the show. Maybe shoestring fries aren't for everyone (and I definitely recommend a fork here) but these were exceptional. Crispy, strategically salty, oily but not drenching your fingers... actually tasting like potatoes... genuinely some of the best fries I've ever reviewed. If GG's ever developed some kind of chili-cheese fries offering... look out. Seriously, I hope someone who works there somehow reads this and considers this idea. You guys are right by the beach and very few things just scream summer to me more than chili fries with a sunset by the beach. If you capitalize here though I do expect some credit. Just call the item "Mercurial Blogger Chili-Cheese Fries" or something (especially if it's a spicy chili!). 

One last thing before I go: the dip. It's basically just mayo whipped up with malt vinegar, which I've never even seen before so originality points there I guess. As a dip it is a bit too "mayoey" for my taste, so I did the French thing of mixing it with ketchup (which always works like a charm). Solo it is interesting, but just needing one more element or texture to really work.

Anyhow, if you're down by Woodbine Beach and craving a burger or some fries... I again strongly suggest you avoid this place and check out GG's instead. They're somewhat hidden if you're on the boardwalk but just take a detour around the expensive patio lounge (yeah I ain't reviewing Beach Club) and you'll find a burger joint that is honestly very, very good.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment