Sunday 25 April 2021

East End Eats XXV: Big Boy's Burrito

 


 

Another review, so quickly? Hey, it's like people eat everyday or something.

 

Big Boy's Burrito is a spot I'd seen in the corner of my eye on those rare occasions I wander up the cliff to the Kingston Road/Victoria Park (like in the Beforetimes to return empties at the Beer Store there because I needed laundry change). 

Regardless of that, some time ago I noticed their little shop on the north side of Kingston and filed their existence away for a time I happened to be up there and hungry for a burrito. Well the time finally happened! (obviously) so lets take a look at Big Boy's Burrito.

It's pretty small inside, as most burrito joints are (they can't all be Burrito Boyz on Adelaide with like two dozen tables). There's a key bus stop two doors west and with multiple schools nearby, including the high school Neil McNeil less than five minutes south... Big Boy's has an optimal location for a burrito spot. 

I went in, knowing I wanted something with chicken... but unsure precisely what when faced with their multiple choices. The 'Tequila Chicken' option is where I landed ("Huge" size because it's a burrito: go big or... go bigger and go home) pumped full of my usual buritto fixings: lettuce, rice, refried beans, green peppers, sour cream, burrito sauce, cheese if it's on the house (in this case it was), a touch of hot sauce and maybe some cilantro if they've got it (they did). As well they offered nacho chips (yes), which a handful of were crumbled upon the other toppings as a finishing touch.

Once ready, I took it home, snapped that not-amazing photo you see above (the lighting/colour is too faded) and proceeded to chow down. First off, this photo well hides how much this thing was dripping (there's a nice puddle of sauce behind/underneath the right half). It was very saucy, which I like, and every bite had a good enjoyably juicy texture to it. The cheese and the rice were layered together to create a melted-cheesey-rice base for this burrito, which is as tasty as it sounds. 

Most of the other elements filled their minor roles admirably: green peppers for some body and slight crunch, lettuce and cilantro to add a fresh taste etc. The nacho chips were an exceptional touch, as while being tucked tight in a hot burrito robbed most of their crispness... they added a nice hint of corn tortilla flavour that I'd argue works just as well as actual corn. The tequila chicken itself though would be what made or broke this...

The tequila sauce itself might not be for everyone but I thought it was quite nice. It arguably dominated a bit too much since any chicken bite was glued to it, just short of the point of overwhelming everything. It's a very salty-sweet sauce, kind of like a thin BBQ mixed with lemon or lime and there is a hint of citrus here. Not my favourite thing ever but it was interesting, intruging as a minimal flavour touch. When it was dripping out and I took a bite of that... kapow! I think this sauce would be very effective with ribs, actually. Something with a smokey taste would compliment this well. 

Anyhow, to wrap it all up (see what I did there)... I'd say this was quite good. The place smelled amazing inside, as did my burrito when first unwrapped, and overall there's solid care and quality in ingredients here. They offer a bunch of other items also, like tacos, nachos and... poutine? You don't see a burrito place offer poutine particularly often. Anyhow, I'd recommend them as a good 'B' level burrito option that won't blow your mind but surely won't disappoint.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment