Tuesday 8 June 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Pizzaiolo Calzone

 


 

Can you name, name, name

Name 'em today?

Can you name, name, name

Name 'em today?

 

Another Tuesday, another Taste! It was not a good week over here at WC Street, mental health is truly something to cradle when everything finally feels right. But! I'm feeling quite pleasant at this moment and so let's talk about Pizzaiolo.

This was my go-to "cheap pizza slice" option when I was at UofT: wandering off from the E.J Pratt library... looking for food costing below five bucks. Thing is, I did this so often that I eventually became sick of this pizza and so deliberately avoided it for many years afterward.

Now though, with those years behind me, how does Pizzaiolo hold up? And in calzone form?

Well... pretty darn good. It's way too expensive (14 bucks for a two topping calzone??? not cool) but at least I got some good quality. The surface is nice and oily, that good kind of greasy "to the touch" feel. There's a drizzle of parmesan which melts into that slippery exterior texture, very enjoyable.  

Inside, it's what you would expect from a calzone but what impresses me is how every element is in equal measure. There isn't excessive empty space or bubbles ruining every other bite (*cough* Pizza Pizza *cough*) but there isn't an excess amount of cheese either, which in my opinion can obscure the quality of particularly mediocre pies. Pizzaiolo has terrific tomato sauce, for a pizza chain, in that it has consistently agreeable tomato flavour: you notice the sweetness, the slight acidity and the texture. Sauce on pizza can be so boring when it's just generic "something-something-imitation-red-stuff"... a good tomato base is the basis (see what I did there) for any great pizza. Unless we're talking white pies... or pesto bases... but hey that's a whole different delicious conversation.

I don't think Pizzaiolo is truly amazing (I've written about these things before, don't ya know), but it was rather good here and the toppings inside (in this instance just pepperoni and bacon) hit the mark. It's actual fried bacon strips (unlike that salty bacon crumble you find in Domino's or Pizza Pizza) and the pepperoni has some seasoned depth beyond just saltiness. The cheese (used in thankfully not overwhelming amounts) holds it all together and really has that squeaky consistency you look for in mozzarella. Seriously, this was quite delicious... but why is it 14 bucks? That there is the biggest, most unforgivable flaw. Calzones, even at the best of places, should never be that expensive. At least the quality, and quantity, of this one hit the bullseye despite the price.

 

Burnt Ends -- I write about baseball too don't ya know. Also here comes my Pink Floyd discography review Wednesday! I have to share and announce that now, or I'll just never do it. You know how these things work. So stay tuned! Beyond that... maybe I'll review a random Star Trek episode for fun? We shall see.

 

Hey Doug -- The premier of Ontario is clearly an idiot way out of his depth even operating a lemonade stand, but even his pathetic idiocy is overshadowed by this article by total hack Jesse Kline. Just astonishing in it's blind arrogance of... basically everything! Oh so you're cool paying five bucks to access a public park, therefore everyone else is? How welcoming to people who can barely live on five bucks each and every day. It's amazing how fools like this have such a platform to spew their toxic waste into our minds. I'm just your friendly neighbourhood food reviewing fool over here, and I certainly don't think the solution to homelessness is charging the public to enter a goddamn fucking public park to keep the "undesirables" away. An astonishing level of useless thinking I feel bad even bringing attention to. 

 

Tuesday Tune -- This is simply one of my favourite songs of all time, full stop. Enjoy it, my friends

 


 

That's it for now. Watch out for my Pink Floyd review soon, but until then, be safe, be kind to one another, lets all hang together in this nightmare and especially don't spill the mustard.      

No comments:

Post a Comment