Sunday 13 June 2021

A Bonus Taste: Popeye's Flounder Sandwich

 


 

Another Sunday, another... Taste? Whaaaaa? 


Sure! Consider this a make-up/do over/bonus episode since I recently missed a week. This will be shorter than the usual Tuesday edition, free of those additional features. Here is just all review, all day! Bring on the Popeye's Flounder Fish sandwich! 

Um... well... it's a crispy fish sandwich... from a fast food joint... that's for sure... (geez, this review might be even shorter than I thought).

All right all right, I do have some morsels of content to share. First off... I've never had flounder before! Perhaps first trying it at a greasy fast food chicken joint wasn't an ideal introduction... but the quality of the fish was somewhat surprising. It was breaded and fried to all hell of course... but there's a special level of hell for overtly crunchy, internally dry fish sandwiches (it's the same circle as people who blast their music on public transit... just a notch above full speed sidewalk cyclists.

My "research" afterwards suggests that flounder, a flatfish (um... I'm guessing it's flat), is normally tender and sweet. Halibut is also a type of flatfish in the flounder species in fact... so I've actually had flounder before apparently.

*cough*

Oops. Well I didn't get any sweetness from this particular flounder offering (again, breaded, greasy and fried forever) but I did find an agreeable tender flakiness within the crispy exterior, even once cooled. Decent.

Complaints wise... well maybe it's the nature of the fish itself (again, I know so little about seafood preparation) but the fact that, as my photo shows, the sandwich is comprised of separate fillets instead of one whole fish patty... it made the action of eating this fairly awkward. A bit of surprise since this is what it looks like on the poster (false food advertising? Nooooooooooo). The separate fillets, beyond making it notably messier (like eating/juggling a homemade sandwich made of baked fish sticks)... it does make certain bites almost entirely the crunch of the breading, other bites a bizarre void of nothingness.

Overall... it's fairly okay. Tricky to eat while trying to keep the insides from tumbling out, but at least on this occasion the fish portions weren't cheapo in quantity. The other elements (mayo, pickles, bun) are standard Popeye's issue and if you've had any of their sandwiches before it's very much the same (I've reviewed this before, ya know... the very first TT!). An okay option for a fish sandwich, but if you're in the Beaches and willing to wait somewhat longer (and throw in an extra five-ish bucks) I'd highly suggest the excellent Mira Mira Diner 1/2 a block away instead.

Thanks for reading! I'll be back Tuesday with a full proper review along with all my other rambling self-indulg... I mean detailed features! Keep your eyes peeled though for potentially some more of these bonus episodes in the future. Until then... don't slip on that mustard spill.         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment