Wednesday 4 August 2021

The Tuesday Taste Sequel Edition: Harvey's Original w. Cheese

 


Everybody's coming from the winter vacation

Taking in the sun in an exaltation to you

You come running in on platform shoes

With Marshall stacks to at least to give us a clue

Ah here it comes

I know it's someone I knew

 

No, I refuse to call it Harveh's.

It's another one! This time we return to a place I've reviewed before, though sampling one of their meat options this time. It's a classic ol' cheeseburger from Harvey's... but did they make my burger a beautiful thing?

Perhaps. Harvey's is a fairly well known burger chain here in Canada, and their shtick of allowing you to watch while they dress your burger with your toppings of choice is likewise fairly unique among franchises (I know Burger Shack, the legendary old school joint up at Oriole Park and Eglinton, does the same thing). It's a bit like going to a sub sandwich place.... hey there's a connection with the first review this week!

When given such freedom of choice, I tend to go more minimalist when it comes to burgers. Harvey's has some interesting options (Tzatzki on a burger? Olives? Is this a gyro?) but I kept it simple with lettuce, cucumber, cheese and Harv sauce. 

Harvey's burgers I find always have a distinct charcoal taste and this one was no exception. I don't find it too much of an issue, just that this particular grill flavour really can dominate anything else within the patty. It is very juicy, which is nice... the texture though is very odd for a burger. Rather like a sausage or pork patty than a beef one, it has that same kind of consistency and type of juiciness. I've never sprung for one of their Angus burgers and now I'm curious just to see how (or if) much different that burger patty is (it'll be Tuesday Taste #70 or something).

What impresses me most here is the bun, because it is delicate, soft and good. There's a light buttery sense to it (much like Ace bakery hamburger buns), smells like fresh bread and really is a strong compliment to the well done cooked exterior of the burger patty. The Harv sauce is a standard sweet relishy mayo with a bit of tang to it, fairly decent and probably would go well with fries. Weaknesses... the cheese is generic processed cheddar (I'm not a huge fan) and the dry cucumbers just don't taste crisp or fresh (gotta keep them colder and covered).

Overall: a burger of modest quality, but if you don't like that overly grilled flavour it probably isn't for you. I find it tasty enough, thanks to the soft bun and juicy patty texture it is very reliant upon (I once got two dry Harvey's burgers and didn't go back for two years). They also get points for having a location affectionately known as Hooker Harvey's (I went to high school near there and yeah, it's was/is a sketchy ass one). 


Burnt Ends Part Two -- Check out part one, where I took a look at Mr. Sub and their very average turkey offering. Aside from that, yeah I'll post my Smith's discography ranking eventually. Just feels lacking and unfinished in some way. Also might venture out to the west end and try a place tons of people have urged me to go to already. Stay tuned!

 

Joey Still Bangs -- He does. 

 

The Greatest Raptor of All Time -- One advantage of writing this a bit later than usual is that I get to comment a bit on the departure of Kyle Lowry to the Miami Heat. For some reason it doesn't sting as much as I thought it would: maybe just because most fans deep down knew this was likely coming and had plenty of time to expect it (I certainly was in denial though... curse you optimism!) and all of the emotional tension was used up during the trade deadline when he ended up actually staying. 

Regardless of all that, the man gave this franchise so many legendary moments. Top of my head, the first quarter of Game Six in Golden State... the game tying buzzer beating heave against Miami in the 2016 East Semis... the 30 point comeback against Dallas... just to name a few jewels on the GROAT's crown. Good for the dude to get paid big one more time, and even though it'll be super weird to see him in another uni he'll still always be a Raptor forever. Him and Jimmy Butler on the same team? That's going to be an intense squad. 

 

Tuesday Tune -- Sixteen months ago, those first few weeks of the pandemic, I was out riding one of my crummy half broken bikes at midnight on the empty streets. It was the first time I'd ever listened to this record... once this song kicked into gear I had the thought of whenever I could finally go back to work again, I'd blast this song as I departed from that first shift. Sixteen months of listening to this album several more times (it's a damn masterpiece) and that potential moment stewing in my mind, trying to imagine how it would feel or what it would be like. Last night it finally happened. 

The long awaited moment of this song wasn't at all like I pictured it. They never are. It still hit me pretty damn hard. 

Looking for a ride to a secret location

Where the kids are setting up a free speed nation for you

 


 
     

That is it for me. Hopefully we can get back on the usual schedule but in the meantime thanks to all of you for your patience and excusing my unexplained week absence (I was a new tie wearing). Until next time, stay safe, stay healthy, be kind and don't spill that mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment