Sunday 18 October 2020

East End Eats XIX: Beach Hill Smokehouse

 

 

I came into this one with big, big expectations. Every review of this place I've seen just raves about them. They've been open at their original location at Main/Gerrard hardly two years and they consistently sell out of product, and so have already opened a second outpost on Danforth. 

Needless to say, this is some premium you-know-what. Doing these reviews, I had to try this one just to understand what all the fuss is about. So in I went, got the sandwich you see above and... hmmmm.

Okay... it is legitimately very good. Very good. I think though that I did it wrong.

Let me explain. So I went for what is simply a brisket sandwich with BBQ sauce, with a pork rib (like a pickle) speared on the top bun. I'll start with the rib... holy moly. No sauce, not overly fatty, but this rib just melted in your mouth with tenderness. The flavour was just perfect lightly smokey meat, each factor (smoke and meat) working in equal measure. Frankly, it was the star of the show for me... truly one of the best ribs I've ever had. 

The sandwich though... this is where I messed up. If I had seen that another of their sandwiches had coleslaw, I'd have gone that way. I love brisket but a sandwich with just that, sauce and a bun? Even high quality brisket (which this is), in my personal taste gets boring about halfway in. That aside, the meat was a bit gamey in the teeth, lacking some juiciness... but tasted terrific. I prefer sweeter BBQ sauces and this one is top level: not sugary sweet but tangy, with a hint of smoke to compliment the slow cooked meats it is meant to compliment. 

I almost want to review this again and do it right-ish. Ideally I would get a sample platter of almost everything they've got: slaw, mac and cheese, different sauces and meats etc. Thing is, I don't have like 120 bucks to blow on something like this, and even splitting it with friends would be tough because: pandemic (and one of my best friends is a vegetarian so it would be very weird including him in such a thing anyway). 

Hey though, this place is high quality, well deserving of the high demand and check em out if you get the chance. Maybe one day I'll do a follow up where I can explore their menu more thoroughly.         

No comments:

Post a Comment