Wednesday 16 September 2020

East End Eats XV: Porch Light

 

 

 

Brunch. It's the perfect combination of two enjoyable meals, condensed into one fantastic, delicious monstrousity. Hipsters have it right with this one (aside from avocado toast... geez just buy a loaf of bread and an avocado for gawds sake... you're giving m... I mean yourselves a bad name!)

Anyway... a good brunch is infinitely enjoyable. Whether it's with friends in an afternoon hangout or a hungover quest for carbs... this is a meal with a specific yet beloved schedule. I love cooking at home, but one thing I will probably never attempt is poaching eggs. A well executed Eggs Benedict executed is worth the price of admission. 

As you've likely guessed by now, the place I'm reviewing here (Porch Light) does a brunch (among other options later in the day). They're up on Kingston Road near Victoria Park (damn hill) and are a relatively recent addition to that underrated stretch. I was feeling rather gluttonous (I jogged up that cliff to get there) and went for their "brunch poutine": loaded with homefries, hollandaise, peameal bacon (optional, could've went for sausages, strip bacon or beans), two poached eggs, cheese curds and buttered toast. 

Oh baby.

Simply, deliciously decadent. The homefries were crispy and seasoned magically (herbs! More places need to get that memo), the hollandaise rich and sweet... a legitimately good base to build on. The peameal was also a good choice (if I may say so), since it didn't bog the meal down with the higher saltiness of strip bacon, the fattiness of sausage or the sauciness of baked beans. The texture of peameal bacon is an excellent secondary force, tender yet not overwhelming the other players in the game. 

Frankly this is one of the most enjoyable takeouts I've had since starting this series. Plus you get some quantity (I didn't finish all that in one sitting). These have mostly been positive reviews because I want to find something in what a small business restaurant offers and try to explain in some way what they're offering, or trying to do. Also I haven't yet had anything truly bad either (The Goof isn't good... but too historic to truly crap on). 

So understand that this brunch poutine here from Porch Light, was truly fantastic. Better than almost anything else I've had so far. I haven't tried anything else on their menu but that trip is inevitable.  

(also shoutout to that excellent beer/brewery photo-bombing this shot heh heh)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment