Thursday 27 August 2020

East End Eats XIV: Yumei Sushi Restaurant


 

 

Disclaimer: I'm no sushi expert, or even a chatty novice. To me, it's always been at the level of "tasty snack", rarely reaching a personal level of satisfying meal. Several years ago I went to an all-you-can-eat sushi spot at Yonge and Dundas (here in Toronto) with a huge group of people, and I was definitely the last person still eating by a considerable margin. I believe my final count was either 28 or 31 pieces (I was trying other things also).

My appetite isn't quite what it used to be (a good thing since I'd probably be about 220 pounds). Sushi to me though... it's just not satisfying enough, at least to a hungry stomach as mine. However when done right, it hits those right spots. I've had extremely bad sushi (dunno why I ever thought getting some from Shoppers Drug Mart was a good idea...) which is bland, somewhat stale and disgustingly chewy. Please don't waste your money and try it for yourself. Seriously, it's the Pizza Pizza of sushi. 

What I love about sushi, when done well, is the texture. It just feels good in your mouth, soft and slightly bitter, with the flavour of whatever is in the centre bursting to your senses after an instant or two. It's a delightful experience, and Yumei Sushi in the Beaches (consequently right next door to my favourite bar in the Beaches) delivers those goods. 

This is high end fare, and while the price (in relation to how much food you get) is extremely not ideal... the quality here at least makes you recognize how most of the time the very best things are rarely the cheapest things. 

I can't exactly describe the flavour profiles (what is this, pizza?) but I ordered one spicy tuna roll (saucy with some decent spice punch) and a salmon roll that legit had caviar dressed within it. Caviar. Like holy cow. My familiarity with caviar is limited (as I don't often take baths in champagne) but here in extremely small form it added a bubble like texture that complimented an already tasty dish. 

Personally I love my sushi with wasabi (clear your sinuses up!) but in this case I saved it for the end, just to fully appreciate the flavours... which were fantastic. Perfect soft texture, the taste grows and melts in your mouth, and it just feels good to eat this. If only it weren't so expensive! Alas I am just a poor food reviewer (poor in finances, not writing quality, heh) and likely will only go back once I've secured that six figure book deal. So any publishers out there reading this... yeah I'd be into that six figure book deal whenever you are. Call me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment