Friday 15 January 2021

East End Eats XX: Bulging Burger



 

2021 hasn't exactly been the sigh of relief most of us were hoping for after the miserable choking hazard that was 2020. With social restrictions tightening once again, local businesses and small restaurants will need our help more than ever to survive. So I'm relaunching my food review series, in hopes that maybe it can give some of my local spots a small bit of coverage. Plus I finally have a phone/camera again so I can take pictures of things.

 

Today I'm looking at the Bulging Burger, a little corner joint just a block away from the Neville Park streetcar loop. Instead of opting for a burger (I've had it before and it's huge, and decent) I really wanted to try their poutine. See, I've been on a mini-quest trying to find the best poutine in the Beaches. No Bull and Fearless Meat, both on Kingston Road, are absolutely exceptional (you'd be crazy not to get smoked meat on the Fearless Meat one). Beaches Brewery, back in the beforetimes, also had an insanely tasty brisket and mushroom concoction which I would probably award the crown to, for now.

 

Bulging Burger keeps it simpler. Just the main elements: thin salty fries, a nice thick rich gravy and tons of cheese curds. Like, an actual ton. I have a habit of removing and saving excess cheese when I order things like this (yeah I'm a weirdo) and while the amount here was excessive to my taste, I will never complain about quantity when the quality is high. This is a basic poutine done very well. Not exciting, and I'd definitely prefer an option to add bacon or mushrooms, but this is a sizeable, sharable meal, reasonably priced (under eight bucks) and is just loaded with the good stuff (gravy and cheese). If you ever fall asleep on the Queen streetcar in the middle of the afternoon and wake up at the end of the line... at least you won't be hungry on the way back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment