Tuesday 13 April 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Butter Chicken Roti's - Lamb Curry Roti

 


 

This won't be the most in-depth review ever. Not by any fault/simplicity of the establishment and item I tried (though this ain't 3-D Chess either)... but it's been some week and I'm not in any mindset of proposing playful setups or nostalgic description.

Baggage aside, I just don't have much to say about this. I'd never ordered a roti from anywhere, and found at first it very similar to a quesadilla. Except...! thankfully larger, not crispy, not sliced, and so stuffed with filling that most of it oozed out when I made my incision for the header photo.

There's not a whole lot beyond: it is quite tasty, the fatty lamb is tender and flavourful (and chunky), the curry sauce slightly nutty with a hint of spice. Enjoyable texture but it needs just a bit more punch... the flatbread slips in nicely into the equation and.... that's it. Solid B, maybe slight B-.

My intention was to try their trademark dish (an actual butter chicken roti) and in my endless brilliance I didn't notice it as a special menu item until my fallback lamb choice was already computed. Biggest disappointment? The lack of sides. Not even Raita or hot sauce or rice type things... I mean the absence of anything else in the oversized brown paper bag I got. No napkins, plastic forks or knives, nothing. Just the box. It's likely I missed those utensils were self-help-yourself, so... just a case of me not paying attention. Familiar failure on my part... but man just gimme a tiny side sauce of something when its over twelve bucks.

This food, in its bare simplicity, is pretty good I'd say. Cinamon Bistro in the Beaches makes a far superior product, but I did like this. It's deceptively filling, and tasty even once cold. Considering my misinterpretation of the menu (wanting their namesake dish) and my general malaise writing anything right now... this will be an eventual do over, however. You're welcome for wasting your time!

 

Burnt Ends - If you're still here... well aside from my final TNG review of the worst episodes from seasons 6-7, or my review of Chinese Fusion Burrito joint Chino Locos...  shrug? Ghost town of ideas now... yeah. I warned this wouldn't be a fun one. 

 

Tuesday Tune - If you're even still this far... well I hope you like this song at least, because I certainly like it more than the quality of this review so far.

I was still in high school when a friend of mine told me about this band. Not soon afterwards I was working at the Drake Hotel, where this band would consistently play fun, dance-filled gigs in the Drake Underground on legendary Elvis Mondays. 

Spiral Beach was just delightful... mixing an early B-52s off-kilter danciness with early Pink Floyd psychedelia... while being just a total crazy energetic live experience. They even made it on the cover of NOW magazine back in the day. This particular song was on an album I bought at their release party on the Toronto Islands, for a friend, probably in 2007... he in turn gave me a burned copy of the album which sounds super muffled so... well we haven't spoken in almost a decade so I doubt he's reading this. He still sucks though.

The band broke up over a decade ago now... each member going off to do their own separate things. Hey though, enjoy this cool tune that totally didn't pop into my mind because I constantly feel like an actual ghost. 

 


 

That's all for this week. Tune in next time when somehow, some goddamn way...  this nightmare can somehow get even slightly better. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, give an anti-masker the finger and don't spill any mustard.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment