Saturday 13 June 2020

East End Eats IV: Beaches Brewing Company






Finally, a pizza one! (sinister laugh)


The Beaches Brewing company began operating in 2014 (coincidentally the year I moved to the area) but it was only in 2019 they started up their current brewery restaurant, near Waverley on Queen East. During the Covid-19 pandemic I'd known they were doing delivery for their beers, but only passing by this past week did I realize that certain days of the week, for certain hours, they were offering takeout pizza as well.

Well! Hot damn. If you've followed any of my work the past couple years, you won't be surprised how intrigued I was by this. The next day their pizza oven was open for business, I walked on over and re-began my endless quest anew.

First of all, I checked online and they have an incredible deal: their Vallarta pizza and a tall boy six pack of their A-Bay pale ale (their flagship brew) for 27 bucks (or thirty with tax). Seeing as during my previous pizza quests I more-than-once spent twenty-seven bucks (tax and tip in) on just a pizza, without any beer to show for that... well shut up and take my money.

The pie itself is quite nice. It's straightforward, no fancy frills but the quality overall is strong. The soft, slightly sour crust/dough has agreeable texture, and a thick enough foundation to hold the contents resting above. You get your standard tomato sauce fare, with a hint of sweetness to nudge it away from generic territory into something more interesting and worthy of note. Likewise the toppings won't blow your mind, but the pepperoni is juicy and a thicker cut, the bacon crunchy (and real) with a hint of garlic scattered about (maybe not as much as I'd like but I'm an insane garlic lover).

This is a good, satisfying pizza. Maybe on the small side, but it's filling (inbetween binging snack and light dinner) and the price is reasonable (or ridiculously awesome with the six-pack deal). Like the beer, it's a smooth, agreeable experience that won't blow your mind but hits the right spot. If you're in the area, I recommend either one but strongly recommend both at once.


Pizza Quest Score: B  (probably top 45-55 in the city)  

No comments:

Post a Comment