Tuesday 16 June 2020

East End Eats VI: Souvlaki Hut






Well... reviewing a place that is actually one outpost among several in a chain of locations in Southern Ontario, isn't quite what I intended when I thought of this concept. However, I'll make a singular exception here (sorry Gabby's, or Gull and Firkin) just because this particular location of Souvlaki Hut happens to be so ingrained and noticeable within the Beaches neighbourhood (existing right on the corner of Wineva and Queen, where the 64 bus loops back up to Main Street Station).

Chain or not, they do good work at this location. Here I went for the pork souvlaki wrap (no onions, because sue me) and it delivered the goods to my hungry stomach. Plenty of flavour, a soft pita (definitely a comfort), complimented nicely by tzatziki and crunchy lettuce... just a solid bite. I usually don't like tomatoes in things (again sue me) but here their sweetness was a welcomed extra layer of flavour to complete this tasty offering.

Their Greek Fries, however, are considerably lacking. Just generic, flash fry fries, a drizzle of oil, some feta cheese and that's all folks. You can make something similar at home and probably much better. Still though, the wrap was tasty enough that I'll overlook the lame complimentary dish, and go back again sometime (maybe for a lamb wrap next time...)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment