Tuesday 11 May 2021

The Tuesday Taste: Rudy's Rude Dude Double Cheeseburger

 

 


 

In the corner of the morning of the past

I would sit and blame the master first and last

All the roads were straight and narrow

And the prayers were small and yellow

And the rumour spread that I was aging fast

 

Shake Shack is a New York hamburger chain that has garnered attention through their excellent "smash" burger style and... damnit! I did it again...

This time, the comparison is on level ground. I definitely want to wax poetically about the great classic American cheeseburgers I've had (and they do wax well)... Rudy though... if you want to call it an imitation you might have to check your mirror. I don't even know what I mean by that but damnit I'm standing by it!

My conclusion is that, as an imitation of a classic American smash burger, this is simply flawless. Each bite carries a differently enjoyable texture... the melted processed cheese assists the natural juiciness and the best bites seem to dissolve in your mouth. So... that's a positive.  

Another positive is how the burger patty tastes like actual beef. Not overly seasoned to hide its flaws... it genuinely shares the likes of high quality meat and that, combined with the expertly melted cheese and just soft enough bun... every bite is marvelous. The texture stands out most to me: the outer edges of the patty are crispy and greasy... loaded with flavour like crunchy bits circling a burger doughnut. Inside, it's all prime juicy hamburger beef and cheese taste... just wonderful to sink your teeth into . 

A burger this good invites nostalgia: and not shyly, it's holding a party. I wouldn't quite put Rudy within that highest regard of In-N-Out or Shake Shack, but it comes pretty damn close. Rudy definitely strives to be more of a Shack kind of burger, and it certainly has the right idea. Even the logos are somewhat similar. 

The fries meanwhile, remind me of McDonald's fries, just better. Instead of relying on salt and oil, these taste like actual potatoes (the aftertaste lingers longer and at least gives you the sensation of consuming actual food). To paraphrase a line from my dear friend Amanda Ryan, who accompanied me on this one: "these taste like what McDonald's fries were probably like back in 1950". It balances that line of salty, thin texture, without that feeling of instant regret as you consume chemicals. These are solid fries: not as good as the burger but impressive enough to catch my tounge with their thin crispiness and consistency. 

Overall... yeah Rudy is pretty damn good. Probably one of the better available burgers you'll find in Toronto currently. They get the details (crispy exterior patty, super melted cheese, good bun) right, and I respect that endlessly. This concludes my mini classic double-cheeseburger arc, and the results!

 

Big Mac: very bland, kinda bad in every way

Burger's Priest: solid, the quality is good but it's overrated and pricey 

Rudy: brings the goods, I really have no negatives to say

 

Burnt Ends -- I'm making significant progress on my Pink Floyd ranking article, it's been a curious journey listening to every album again... what a truly exceptional band. Meanwhile, I've been writing about baseball, and on that subject I also recommend this historical article about the Chicago Cubs from an excellent writer I hold in very high regard. Beyond that... 

 

Hey Doug -- you vacuum cleaner sucking up failed ideas, you rancid pile of dumpster refuse forgetting garbage day... all you have left is just blaming anyone else for your obvious failings, like a Wack-A-Mole that spits venom if the player misses. When the going gets tough, you ain't tough one ounce... clearly you hide in the corner until the next photo opportunity. Hey nobody fall for his pathetic charade, please. Resign you fool. Maybe that way I can possibly get back to work this century.

 

100 Up/Tuesday Tune -- A personal moment: I feel very out of shape. So, I've started running north up my street (which happens to be a cliff) every day for the next 100 days. I'm really only mentioning it at all as a way to keep myself accountable. Secret reveal! Anyway, I'm gonna keep trying it, but meanwhile here's the first song I charged up that evil angle to:

 


 

Hey! Oh! That's it for me. Be kind to each other, get that jab if possible, let's try to build a better world tomorrow and the first step is don't spill that mustard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment