Friday 7 August 2020

East End Eats XI: Thai House Cuisine

 

 

 

An aside quickly: one night several months ago I was at a close friend's house who also lives in the east end (this was before the Covid-19 pandemic obviously). We were drinking beers and getting hungry, so he suggested we order delivery from a nearby Thai restaurant. This was the first time I'd eaten Thai food since I was actually in Thailand, nine years earlier. Guess I've been too busy ordering hundreds of pizzas.

I remember the food that night being delicious, so when I decided to embark upon this east end food quest, this Thai place definitely deserved a second look (especially with fewer *cough* beverages this time).

As much as I enjoy spicy duck, which is what I ordered on that maiden voyage, I went for a chicken dish this time. Upon picking it up (they have a nifty take-out window right at Queen and Wineva) I was a bit dismayed to see how small the bag was, although it smelled great. Looks can be deceiving, to overuse an overused phrase, as the portion was just filling enough even without rice (I instead toasted some pita bread to eat it with).

The sauce has a nice nutty texture (there are tiny chunks of peanut within) and is definitely the high-light here. There's an earthy richness, yet it doesn't overwhelm the other flavours thankfully (why truffle paste, for example, should be used minimally). Everything else is quite on par: the chicken is thankfully juicy and not dry, the veggies nicely cooked and adding a different texture and subtle bitter taste to the mix... and like I said it was enough food to satisfy this particular six foot tall, hungry dude. Another pretty good restaurant out here in Le Beaches.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment